During this days the escalation of viruses are going parallel with the escalation of population. Isn’t it! Many types of viruses came into existence. Zika is one of the antique viruses which caused from Aides mosquito the same mosquito which carries dengue fever, yellow fever, and chikungunya virus. Virus is known to circulate in Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific. Firstly it was identified in Uganda in 1947 in rhesus Monkeys.
It was said by WHO that “Zika” is spreading uncontrollable in the Americas. Zika may be spread through sexual contact or blood transfusions processes. The CDC is aware of a report that Brazilian scientists have found the virus in the saliva and urine of infected people.
How to identify this Virus?
- The incubation period (the time from exposure to symptoms) of Zika virus disease is not clear, but is likely to be a few days.
- The symptoms are similar to other rhinovirus infections such as dengue, and include fever, skin rashes, conjunctivitis, muscle and joint pain, malaise, and headache which are usually mild and last for 2-7 days.
- Only about 1 in 5 people with the virus will exhibit symptoms but in rare cases, the people who are infected with Zika has been associated with Gunilla-Barre syndrome, a disorder that can cause partial or complete paralysis, usually starting in the legs, temporary.
- Most people infected with Zika virus won’t even know they have the disease because they won’t have symptoms.
Zika virus diagnosis can only be confirmed by laboratory testing for the presence of Zika virus RNA in the blood or other body fluids, such as urine or saliva.
What are the effects of it on a pregnant women?
- Brazil and several other nations have advised women to postpone pregnancy so that she can have a healthy child later on.
- Although there are many causes of microscopically in babies, including infections during pregnancy, genetic problems, and exposure to toxic substances during pregnancy, according to the research has provided enough evidence to show that Zika is among those causes says CDC.
- Men who have lived or traveled in areas with Zika infections and have a pregnant sex partner either use condoms or abstain from sex during the pregnancy.
- The couple who want child or who is already expecting baby have to follow strictly advise of their doctor or wait for few months if either partner are infected with Zika.
- Physically baby will show dwarfism, delay in speech and movements, backward sloping forehead and other who is affected with this virus.
- Try to avoid mosquito bite.
How one can defeat from this?
- Get plenty of rest.
- Drink much amount of fluid to prevent dehydration.
- Take medicine such as acetaminophen (Tylenol®) or paracetamol to reduce fever and pain.
- If you are already taking medicine for another medical purpose then before taking any medicine consult your doctor or health adviser.
- Avoid visit to such places which are in contact of mosquito and people.
- Apply mosquito anti-septic cream before going out of house as well as before sleep.
As per mention above the harmful effects of mosquito bit can take one’s health up to what extends. Special attention and help should be given to those who may not be able to protect themselves adequately, such as young children, the sick or elderly.